The Tower of Babel (Douay Rheims translation )
(Translator’s note: My deepest condolences to those who speak English, as not only do most of the zas get lost in transliteration with current technology, but as the Babel text does not originate from a Xoqny culture, none of the morphemes indicating mood or intent were included by the original speaker. This translator, in an effort to hew closely to the ‘original’ text has included only the morphemes “da” (generative mood) and “vozt,” (unknown; beyond knowability) indicating that this is a story from an unknown source.)
- And the earth was of one tongue, and of the same speech.
- And when they removed from the east, they found a plain in the land of Sennaar, and dwelt in it.
- And each one said to his neighbour: Come, let us make brick, and bake them of stones, and slime instead of mortar.
- And they said: Come, let us make a city and a tower, the top whereof may reach to heaven: and let us make our name famous before we be scattered abroad into all lands.
- And the Lord came down to see the city and the tower, which the children of Adam were building.
- And he said: Behold, it is one people, and all have one tongue: and they have begun to do this, neither will they leave off from their designs, till they accomplish them in deed.
- Come ye, therefore, let us go down, and there may not understand one another’s speech.
- And so the Lord scattered them from that place into all lands, and they ceased to build the city.
- And therefore the name thereof was called Babel, because there the language of the whole earth was confounded: and from thence the Lord scattered them abroad upon the face of all countries.
- Davozt-nyqtijobc bon’-oknyxcixc.
- Xo-ixoszwirrl-yatbelxtsojmah-Sennaar xat-‘belxfeljkbelqit.
- Wakmyqkok: Xi-trintfos-fostantrint-belx ixmezand-slukbon.
- Xo-wak: Xi-trintobcatiytsojwirrl-brynzefsx trintnyzt szamictsojx-‘sig.
- Nyx-yatobcatiytsojwirrl-,ixta broxndur-qoxqxat’|Adambon.
- Waknyx: Xo-nyqtijqryxpixcjefij vosyzfent fexljk-simtontovx.
- Xi-tatixta ixsedsyz’-,nixcixc.
- Xo-ixtat-brondurtsojwirrl szamicnyx-tsojx.
- ‘|Babel-hapxinfosch-obcxixnixcixc szamicnyx-pixcjeftsojx.